Here are just some of the reasons why:
• Geany is a lightweight editor, so ideal for the Raspberry Pi
• Geany is easy to setup and use, yet offers many customisation options
• Geany understands Python syntax and colour-codes the source code
• Geany checks your code for syntax errors before it runs
• Geany runs your program with a single mouse click
• Geany understands the syntax of many other programming languages
Your Raspberry Pi image may already include Geany. If not don't worry, it's easily installed.
Install GeanyJust open a new LXTerminal window and type the following command:
sudo apt-get install geany
By default Geany uses the
'xterm' program to execute your program. Unfortunately, some Raspberry Pi images do not have the
'xterm' program installed.
To fix this problem select Geany's Edit->Preferences menu option, then select the 'Tools' tab on the left. Now change the 'Terminal:' setting to the one below:
Press the 'Save' button to keep your changes.
Visit my Raspberry Pi page for news, reviews, advice and tutorials.